Catholic Charities of Baltimore is seeking an Immigration Attorney with strong Spanish and English language skills for the Esperanza Center.
Schedule: Monday - Friday
The Esperanza Center is a comprehensive resource center whose mission is to welcome immigrants by offering hope, compassionate services, and the power to improve their lives. Since 1963, immigrants from all over the world have trusted the Esperanza Center to help them navigate life in a new country. Our dedicated staff and volunteers provide services related to education, healthcare, immigration legal matters, family reunification, anti-trafficking, and general community support to thousands of immigrants each year.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage high-volume case load concerning various immigration matters including asylum, special immigrant juvenile status, family-based petitions and visas, non-immigrant visa processing, TPS, adjustment of status, naturalization, hardship waivers, Cancellation of Removal, U- and T-Visas, and other motions and legal memoranda as needed
- Assist with the intake process and provide phone and in-person interviews and consultations to prospective clients
- Provide representation in: custody and guardianship proceedings in Maryland Circuit Court, through a Maryland license; in USCIS interviews before the Baltimore District Office and the Asylum Office in Arlington, VA; and in federal immigration court and other administrative bodies on immigration matters
- Assists with community outreach and education, and group presentations and workshops; and represents the agency to a variety of organizations and at community and professional functions and meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in Spanish and Spanish is required.
- Driving (Agency and/or personal vehicle) is required for this position. Driver must be at least 21 years of age, with a minimum of 2 years of driving experience, and a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residence. There can be no state issued restrictions on the licenses that would impede driver’s ability to operate the vehicle as required by the Agency, and there must not be more than three (3) points on their driving record..
- Requires the ability to utilize computer systems and software necessary to perform position functions. Basic Windows PC, web browsing (i.e., Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.), and Microsoft Outlook skills required. Other Microsoft Office application knowledge, such as Word, Excel PowerPoint, Skype, and OneDrive desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
Catholic Charities’ policy requires employees in this position to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, which includes a process for requesting exemption.
Catholic Charities offers a competitive salary and benefits program.
Join Catholic Charities of Baltimore where you will be an important member of a trauma-informed care organization that promotes a culture of safety, empowerment, healing and self-care, and that believes that every person has infinite worth and promise.