Academic (GED) Instructor
Job Posting Announcement
Posting Date: 9/13/2022
Classification: Human Services
Functional Job Title: Academic Instructor
FLSA/Bargaining Unit: Non-Exempt/CUB – Unrepresented
Grade/Salary Range: 918 ($35k-40k)
Location:1510 W Lafayette Ave, Baltimore, MD 21217
About City of Baltimore, Mayor’s Office of Employment Development
The Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED) coordinates and directs workforce development initiatives responsive to the needs of Baltimore City employers and job seekers in order to enhance and promote the local economy. Our vision is for all City residents to maximize their career potential and all employers to have the human resources to grow and prosper – a workforce system that works.
This is teaching work at the full performance level. Work involves the development and presentation of varying levels of functioning inclusive of ABE basic, general education and/or Pre-GED/ GED level youths currently involved in specified programs. Work is performed under the supervisor of an administrative supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares course outlines and lesson plans
- Engage youth with assignments/projects by which “fun-learning” simultaneously occurs.
- Independently selects and uses teaching methods, techniques, and supplemental material he or she feels will be most effective for teaching the assigned subjects to his or her students.
- Initiates, designs, and carries out individualized programs of learning adjusted to the needs of individual students, or small groups of students who are having special learning difficulties
- Consults with counselors and other team members in the design and development of programs to overcome specific educational needs
- Counsels and advises students, parents, guardians, or others concerned with the educational attainment of students.
- Must be able to implement instruction virtually and in-person.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of subject fields including current development, problems and trends
- Knowledge of special teaching principles, methods and techniques applicable to subject and target groups
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques of educational and psychological tests and their application to counseling and of the broad objectives and content of educational and training programs
- Ability to obtain and interpret occupational, economic and other data about the environments affecting the students
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work as a member of a team to assure project completion
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university with major course work in an appropriate educational field
- One year of related work experience providing comparable services
- Or, any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience